The Georgian House
The Georgian House at 7 Great George Street, Bristol, is today furnished as a period townhouse. It shows what life was like for a wealthy business man towards the end of the Georgian period (1714-1830). The house was built in about 1790 by John Pinney. He owned plantations on the Caribbean island of Nevis. Using slave labour, sugar cane was grown on his land. After settling in Bristol, managers were employed to run the plantations and John Pinney started a company trading in sugar.
In 1765 John Pinney first left England for the island of Nevis in the Eastern Caribbean. In 1772, whilst on the island, he met and married Jane Weekes, the daughter of William Weekes, who was Treasurer and Commander of all Forts and Fortifications and Plantations (his title) on Nevis.
They had seven children. Their first son John Frederick was born on Nevis on March 1st, 1773. Their daughter Elizabeth was born on January 10th, 1774. Their second son Azariah was born on January 6th, 1775, and Alicia was born December 6th, 1776. She died aged about four and is buried on the island of Nevis. Pretor was born on May 7th, 1781. Their daughter Mary was born in Bristol (at their rented property) on September 15th, 1786. Finally, their son Charles was born on April 29th, 1793, in what is now the Georgian House.